BS8848: THE BRITISH STANDARD FOR SAFETY IN ADVENTUROUS ACTIVITIES
Adventurous activities undertaken without the appropriate training or experience can be high risk and dangerous, possibly resulting in injury, illness or death. It is essential for organizers to apply the principles of good management to ensure risks are managed.
What is BS 8848?
BS 8848 pulls together expertise and good practice into a new national standard for the safe management of overseas ventures. BS 8848 provides a specification for organizing and managing visits, fieldwork, expeditions, and adventurous activities, outside the United Kingdom.
BS 8848 covers the preparation & execution of adventurous activities abroad so that the level of risk included is reasonable and acceptable. It will prepare participants for the risks involved, and the actions and behaviour required to keep risks down to acceptable levels.
Who is BS 8848 for?
BS 8848 can be applied by any group/individual seeking to verify that ventures outside the UK organized, or provided by them, have safety management systems in place that are proportionate to the level of risk likely to be inherently or deliberately present in the venture and to the capabilities/life experience of the participants.
It applies to organizers of overseas activities including:
– Adventure holidays, University and academic fieldwork, GAP-year activities, Research expeditions, Travel and tour operators, Charity challenges.
How does BS 8848 help?
BS 8848 does not aim to make adventurous activities safe. Following it however, should reduce the risks associated with peripheral aspects of core adventure, so that the riskiest elements are well managed for inexperienced participants.
BS 8848 helps minimize risk through:
– Guidance on how to recognize a safe and well organized overseas venture
– Establishing best practice for organizers
– Helping a user recognize whether a venture is safe
– Preparing participants for the risks involved
– Aiming to reduce risk of injury and near misses
– Providing clear accountability and defined roles for everyone involved.