Survival School was established in 1997 by Jonny Crockett, a Level 5 Instructor, to provide a place of learning for those who wanted to know more about bushcraft and the wilderness. Jonny Crockett still runs most of the courses himself. It is his personal attention to detail and his enthusiasm for the subject that has helped to make Survival School what it is – A place of good fun and good learning.
Jonny graduated from the University of Exeter with a Masters Degree in Experimental Archaeology. His dissertation was on Ötzi the Iceman’s curation and transportation of fire, in which he scientifically disproved a key theory.
Jonny went on his first survival course when he was 14 years old and has been learning ever since. He has frequently been invited to work with the Royal Marines, the Royal Navy, the Army and the Royal Air Force. However, his style is not military and he teaches with a common sense, logic and down to earth style that is not found in most Survival Schools in the UK. A lot of his techniques he has learnt from around the world where the skills are still used as a way of life. Jonny is a broadcaster, columnist for magazines and author, as well as appearing on television on a regular basis.
Jonny Crockett of Survival School
- Master of the Arts (with Dean’s Commendation for Exceptional Performance) in Experimental Archaeology with Dissertation in Fire Curation and Transportation
- Writer and creator of the Level 2, Level 3, Level 4 and Level 5 Awards in Bushcraft, Survival and Wilderness Living Accredited by the NCFE
- Accredited Practitioner of the Institute for Outdoor Learning 11th May 2010
- Wilderness Emergency First Aid
- DBS (Formerly Criminal Records Bureau Checked)
- Food Safety and Hygiene Certificate – Level 2
- Member of the International Society of Professional Trackers
- Introduction to Integrated Emergency Management – Level 3
- Chainsaw qualified in maintenance, cross cutting and felling up to 380mm
- NGO Game Meat Hygiene Certificate